- Ph.D., Animal Science, Virginia Tech, 2002
- M.S., Animal Science, Virginia Tech, 1998
- B.A., Biology, University of Richmond, 1996
- 2007 – Assistant Professor of Equine Nutrition, Dairy and Animal Science Department, The Pennsylvania State University
- 2004 – 2007 Assistant Professor, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Based at Middleburg Agricultural Research and Extension Center, Middleburg, VA
- 2002 – 2004 Post-Doctoral Associate in Equine Nutrition, Middleburg Agricultural Research and Extension Center, Virginia Tech, Middleburg, VA, Research focus: Growth curve characteristics of Thoroughbreds and developmental changes in the somatotropic axis
Professional Societies (Membership)
- Equine Science Society, 1998 – present
- American Society of Animal Science, 1998 – present
- Comparative Nutrition Society, 1998 – present
- Pennsylvania Equine Council, 2007 – present
- L.A. George, W. B. Staniar , K. H. Treiber, P. A. Harris, and R. J. Geor. 2009. Insulin sensitivity and glucose dynamics during pre-weaning foal development. Dom. Anim. Endo. 37:23-29.
- R. A. Carter, R. J. Geor, W. B. Staniar , T. A. Cubitt, and P. A. Harris. 2008. Apparent adiposity assessed by standardized scoring systems and morphometric measurements in horses and ponies. Vet. J. 179:204-210.
- W. B. Staniar , D. S. Kronfeld, R. M. Akers, and P. A. Harris. 2007. Insulin-like growth factor I in growing Thoroughbreds. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. (Berl). 91:390-399.
- W. B. Staniar , T. A. Cubitt, L. A. George, P. A. Harris, and R. J. Geor. 2007. Glucose and insulin responses to different dietary energy sources in Thoroughbred broodmares grazing cool season pasture. Livestock Sci. 111:164-171.
- T. A. Cubitt, W. B. Staniar , D. S., Kronfeld, B. M., Byrd, and P. A., Harris, 2007. Environmental effects on nutritive value of equine pastures in Northern Virginia. Pferdeheilkunde. 23:151-154.
- A. M. Smith, W. B. Staniar , and R. K. Splan. 2006. Associations between yearling body measurements and career racing performance in Thoroughbred racehorses. J. Equine Vet. Sci. 26: 212-214.
- K. H. Treiber, D. S. Kronfeld, T. M. Hess, B. M. Byrd, R. K. Splan, and W. B. Staniar . 2006. Evaluation of genetic and metabolic predispositions and nutritional risk factors for pasture-associated laminitis in ponies. J Am Vet Med Assoc 228: 1538-1545.
- Hess TM, Kronfeld DS, Carter RA, Treiber KH, Byrd BM, Staniar WB , Smith LT, Gay LA, Harris PA. 2006. Does usefulness of potassium supplementation depend on speed? Equine Vet. J. Suppl., 36:74-9.
- Kronfeld DS, Treiber KH, Hess TM, Splan RK, Byrd BM, Staniar WB , White NW. 2006. Metabolic syndrome in healthy ponies facilitates nutritional countermeasures against pasture laminitis. J. Nutr., 136:2090S-2093S.
- K. H. Treiber, R. C. Boston, D. S. Kronfeld, W. B. Staniar , and P. A. Harris. 2005. Insulin resistance and compensation in thoroughbred weanlings adapted to high-glycemic meals. J Anim Sci 83: 2357-2364.
- W. B. Staniar , D. S. Kronfeld, K. H. Treiber, R. K. Splan, and P. A. Harris. 2004. Growth rate consists of baseline and systematic deviation components in Thoroughbreds. J. Anim. Sci. 82:1007-1015.
- W. B. Staniar , D. S. Kronfeld, R. M. Hoffman, J. A. Wilson, and P. A. Harris. 2004. Weight prediction from linear measures of growing Thoroughbreds. Equine Vet. J. 36:149-154.
- W. B. Staniar , D. S. Kronfeld, J. A. Wilson, L. A. Lawrence, W. L. Cooper, and P. A. Harris. 2001. Growth of Thoroughbreds fed a low protein supplement fortified with lysine and threonine. J. Anim. Sci. 79:2143-2151.
- C. A. Williams, D. S. Kronfeld, W. B. Staniar , and P. A. Harris. 2001. Plasma glucose and insulin responses of Thoroughbred mares fed a meal high in starch and sugar or fat and fiber. J. Anim. Sci. 79:2196-2201.