Farm and Ranch Management
Description: Opportunities here exist on a more personal level for individuals interested in managing their own farms, or on a larger scale where individuals may be paid by farm owners to oversee and manage large operations on a day-to-day basis.
Proximity to Horses: Variable
Specific careers related to farm or ranch management:
- Farm/Ranch Manager
- Assistant Manager
Preparation Required: Requirements may vary depending on the size and scale of the operation. Larger operations may prefer an employee with a degree in equine science or animal science while others may strictly look for experience. Consult local extension organizations as well as associations to receive continuing training in specific areas related to equine management.
- Colorado State University Equine Science - http://equinescience.colostate.edu/
- Montana State University Equine Science Program - http://animalrange.montana.edu/equine-sci.htm
- Mount Ida College - http://www.mountida.edu/sp.cfm?pageid=329
- Penn State Equine Science Program - http://www.das.psu.edu/equine/
- Post University - http://www.post.edu/maincampus/equineManagement.shtml
- Purdue University Calumet Equine Management Program - http://webs.calumet.purdue.edu/equine/
- Stephens College - http://www.stephens.edu/academics/programs/equestrian/
- SUNY Cobleskill Equine Management Program - http://www.cobleskill.edu/academics/agnrschool/agbus/equine/index.asp
- Texas A & M Animal Science - Equine Science - http://animalscience.tamu.edu/academics/equine/index.htm
- University of Kentucky - http://www.uky.edu/Ag/AnimalSciences/equine/horseugrad.html
- University of Maryland - http://www.equinestudies.umd.edu/
- University of Northampton - http://www.northampton.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/detail/?id=0146
- Virginia Tech Equine Science - http://www.equine.vt.edu/
- West Virginia University - http://www.davis.wvu.edu/academics/undergraduate/minors/equine_management
- Wilson College - http://www.wilson.edu/wilson/asp/content.asp?id=240
1Links do not indicate endorsement of the site or related organizations, but are provided as a starting point for the user in determining credibility and relevance for their purposes.