Description: Where there are people, you generally find food. Many equine facilities, such as race tracks, provide a range of dining opportunities. Some may be available both in and out of season for the related sport. Catering and event hosting are other opportunities that extend the season. Some facilities have their own staff others may contract with related industries to provide this service.
Proximity to Horses: Distant
Specific careers related to track culinary department:
- Wait staff
- Event coordinators
- Hostesses or Hosts
Educational Opportunities: Training as a chef or event coordinator would be useful. Hospitality training would be beneficial for wait staff and hosts or hostesses.
- Nicholls State University John Folse Cullinary Institute - http://www.nicholls.edu/culinary/alumni-profiles/
- Southwestern Oregon Community College - Culinary - http://www.socc.edu/academics/pgs/academic-dept/culinary/index.shtml
Related Organizations with Career Postings1:
- Delaware Park - Chef Hubie - http://www.delawarepark.com/dining_chefs.php
- Hoosier Park, Dining - http://www.hoosierpark.com/dining.html
- Meadowlands Race Track, Hambletonian Room - http://www.meadowlandsracetrack.com/hambletonian.asp
- Professional Chef's Association, Career Resources - http://www.jobtarget.com/home/index.cfm?site_id=509
Professional Development Opportunities1:
- American Culinary Federation - http://www.acfchefs.org//AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home6&WebsiteKey=72ee894f-4972-4373-84d0-459d0f0e884e
- Professional Chef's Association - http://www.professionalchef.com/Default.htm
Other Related News Articles and Releases1 (posted in chronological order, most recent on top):
- Racing to the Table: A Culinary Tour of Sporting America by Margaret Guthrie (2002)http://www.eclipsepress.com/backlist_titles/B11-1066.html
1Links do not indicate endorsement of the site or related organizations, but are provided as a starting point for the user in determining credibility and relevance for their purposes.