Description: Each breed and riding or driving style has its unique needs related to shoeing and hoof care.
Proximity to Horses: Close
Specific careers related to farriers:
- Clinician/blacksmiths: applies product and oversees hoof care; generally also responsible for the marketing of new products
- Product development
- Product sale
Educational Opportunities1: Clinics and other opportunities to learn from other clinicians frequently are provided. Check with your local extension office and professional associations to learn more about these. Some courses and other, more formal programs are also provided to help get you started.
- Butler Professional Farrier's School - http://www.butlerprofessionalfarrierschool.com/
Related Associations and Other Links1:
- American Farrier's Association - http://www.americanfarriers.org/
- American Farrier's Journal - http://www.lesspub.com/cgi-bin/site.pl?afj/index
- Brotherhood of Working Farriers Association - http://www.bwfa.net/
- The Farrier and Hoofcare Resource Center - http://www2.horseshoes.com/
- Farrier Industry Association - http://www.farrierindustry.org/
- The Worldwide Farrier Directory - http://www.farriers.com/
1Links do not indicate endorsement of the site or related organizations, but are provided as a starting point for the user in determining credibility and relevance for their purposes.