Description: The equine industry requires specialized facilities for many of the activities and operations. These may include buildings, barns, arenas, fencing, and transportation equipment. They may be intended more for private use or for use by many people from different disciplines and for different uses.
Proximity to Horses: Distant
Specific careers related to facilities:
- Equine welfare specialists
Preparation Required: Many colleges and universities offer courses related to the design of equine facilities. It is important to understand the needs of the horse as well as the needs for the humans interacting with the horse in any given facility. Requirements vary depending on the task. Engineering backgrounds are very helpful for those involved in the design of buildings.
Related Associations and Other Links1:
- Lake Erie College Equine Studies Program - http://www.lec.edu/equestrian/majors
- Equine Architects - http://www.cmwequine.com/whoweare.html
- Stable Environments - Equine Facility Design and Stable Management Consulting - http://www.stableenvironments.com/index.htm
- Wick Buildings & Residential Homes - http://www.shergain.com/equinefacilities.htm
Public Facilities (examples):
- Cal-Poly - http://animalscience.calpoly.edu/areas_of_study/equine/facilities.asp
- Colorado State University - http://equinescience.colostate.edu/content/view/20/35/
- North Augusta Hippodrome Equine Facility - http://www.northaugustahippodrome.com/
- University of Maryland - http://www.equinestudies.umd.edu/facilities/index.html
- University of Minnesota - http://www.cvm.umn.edu/umec/facility/home.html
- Warwickshire College - http://www.warkscol.ac.uk/Default.aspx?cNode=17957
- Biological Risk Management for Equine Facilities - The Center for Food Security and Public Health, Iowa State University - http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/BRM/equineresources.htm
- Stall Lighting - eXtension - http://www.extension.org/pages/Equine_Facilities:_Stall_Barn_Lighting
- Tack Room - eXtension - http://www.extension.org/pages/Equine_Facilities:_Barn_Tack_Room
1Links do not indicate endorsement of the site or related organizations, but are provided as a starting point for the user in determining credibility and relevance for their purposes.