Robert E. Mikesell
- Ph.D., Animal Science, The Pennsylvania State University, 2002
Areas of Interest
- Odor Management
- 4-H Programs
- 2006-Present Senior Instructor, The Pennsylvania State University
Teach Animal Science 324 “Value Determination of Meat Animals” and a portion of Animal Science 300 “Integrated Animal Biology”
Implement large-scale livestock facility siting assessment service. Responsible 4-H livestock curriculum management
- 2001-2006. Total of $154,100 funded to PA Pork Producers Council in PDA Commodity Matching Grants.
Publications, Articles, and Manuscripts Published
- 1999-2007. Eight publications, articles and manuscripts published or in press.
Abstracts and Posters Presented
- 2001-2006. Eight abstracts and posters presented.
4-H Curriculum Materials Developed
- 1998-2006. Nine livestock curriculum pieces developed for use by Pennsylvania 4-H livestock club members.
Other Curriculum Materials Developed
- Mikesell, R. E. and M. M. Baker. 2005. Animal Science Biology and Technology, 2nd edition. Interstate Publishers, Danville, IL. (Now Prentice Hall).
- Mikesell, R. E. and M. M. Baker. 2000-2006. Large Animal Science Lesson Plans. The Ag Ed Network, a division of Stewart-Peterson, Inc. Available at http://www.agednet.com/. Over 100 lesson plans published to date.
- Mikesell. R. E. and M. M. Baker. 1997. Animal Science Biology and Technology Teacher’s Resource Guide. Interstate Publishers, Danville, IL. (Now Prentice Hall).
Environmental Extension Activities Initiated
- 2007. Developed Odor Siting Index in response to Act 38 ACRE legislation
- 1999-2007. Site Evaluation Service for new or expanded large-scale livestock facilities. Over 170 sites evaluated.
- 1999-2004. Northeast Coordinator and National Trainer for On-Farm Assessment and Environmental Review (OFAER) Program administered by Environmental Management Solutions, Inc. Funded by America’s Clean Water Foundation. More than 350 farms coordinated.