- B.S., University of Wisconsin, Madison, Poultry Science/Business and Industry (1983)
- M.S., University of Wisconsin, Madison, Continuing and Vocational Education/Extension (1985)
Areas of Responsibility
- 4-H Youth Poultry Program
- Advise and Teach for the AN SC Undergraduate Program
- Advise for Poultry Science Club
- Coach for Collegiate Poultry Judging
- Internship Coordinator for AN SC Major
- Small Specialty Avian Industries
- Embryology in the Classroom
- Farm Show Poultry Program Coordinator
- 2006 to present: Senior Instructor, 4-H Youth and Specialty Poultry Programs, Department of Poultry Science, The Pennsylvania State University
- 2001 to 2006: Senior Extension Associate, 4-H Youth and Specialty Poultry Programs, Department of Poultry Science, The Pennsylvania State University
- 1985 to 2001: Extension Poultry Specialist, 4-H Youth/Small Flocks, Animal and Poultry Sciences Department, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- 1983 to 1985: Program Assistant to Extension Poultry and Small Animal Specialist, Poultry Science Department, University of Wisconsin
- 4-H/youth Poultry program Leadership.
- Traditional rearing and raising poultry projects that provide youth learning opportunities in animal care and life skills. My responsibility is to provide program management, volunteer leader and youth training, and program resource development.
- Organize and conduct state and national 4-H poultry judging contests as well as state 4-H contests in Avian Bowl, Chicken-cue Presentation, and Turkey-cue Presentation.
- Help organize and conduct state F.F.A. Career Development Event.
- 4-H Embryology project. This is mostly a school-enrichment project that enrolls over 40,000 youth in Pennsylvania annually. My responsibility is to conduct leader training, manage, and coordinate program activities at the state level.
- The specialty poultry responsibilities include program leadership and technical assistance to avian operators other than commercial layer, broiler, or turkey producers. This group includes breeders and owners of domestic poultry as well as specialty avian flocks such as game birds, organic and pastured poultry, urban poultry and other small specialty flocks.
- Serve as the web master for the Poultry Extension team web page
- Teach AN SC 421 "Poultry Evaluation and Selection"
- Teach AN SC 426 "Poultry Judging"
- Guest Lecture or assist in teaching other courses and labs as needed (AN SC 311, AN SC 291, ENG 083T
- Developed the Poultry Industry section for the new AN SC 100 “Intro to Animal Industries”
- Coordinate of AN SC 395 "for credit" internships for the Animal Sciences major
- Advise Undergraduate students in the AN SC Major
- Advise the Poultry Science Club
Immediate plans include:
- Support 4-H poultry programs, projects, and events.
- Provide training in the 4-H contests and events.
- Maintain extension poultry resource web sites to enhance all of the poultry extension program areas.
- Create an open communication network with and between extension professionals, avian associations, and agencies working with youth poultry and the specialty avian industries.
- Develop funding options to support the 4-H youth poultry programs.
- Increase the number of undergraduate students with poultry interest at University Park campus.
PA Extension Publications
- Raising Fowl in Urban Areas. Small-scale Poultry Production fact sheet, 2010
- Management Requirements for Laying Flocks. Small-scale Poultry Production fact sheet, 2010.
- PA 4-H Embryology Members Guide 1, AO910A, 2005.
- Preparing for the Poultry Barbecue Contests. Set of PDF publications, 2002
- "Cooking Basics" covers the barbecuing skills portion of the contest. 3 pages.
- "Presentation Basics" covers how to prepare and give a presentation for this contest. 3 pages.
- Helpful Guide for 4-H Leaders in Poultry Project. A PDF publication, 2002
- Standards for Broiler, Roaster, and Young Turkey Pens. A PDF publication,
- Brochure for Poultry minor, Poultry and Avian Science Minor at Penn State, 2005, Revised 2009.
National Extension Publications
- National 4-H Poultry Judging Manual. Revisions 1991, 1999, 2002.
- Embryology in the Classroom. National 4HCCS embryology curriculum. 2001.
- Experiments in Poultry Science. Advanced Helper's Guide. 2001.
- Hatching Classroom Projects. Beginner Helper's Guide. 2001.
- Small-Scale Agriculture Alternative: Poultry. For the USDA Office of Small-Scale Agriculture. 1995.
Other Extension Publications
- Raising Waterfowl. Wisconsin A3311 manual on raising small-scale waterfowl. Prepared with John Skinner. 1985. Revised 2003.
- Agricultural Alternatives: Bobwhite Quail Production. 2002.
- Beginning of Life School Enrichment Curriculum, VA Tech Publication, 2000.
- Beginning of Life: A Leader's Manual for Avian Embryology. This manual has also been adapted for use by state programs in PA and MD. 1990, last revised in 1998.
- Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences "Excellence in Academic Advising Award," 2010
- Ag Student Council "Outstanding Club Adviser of the Year," 2006
- Poultry Science Association "Student Recruiting Award," 2005
- Agricultural Communications In Education "Outstanding Professional Skill Award," 2001 while at VA Tech
- AN SC Steering Committee, 2003-present, Chair 2006-2007
- New Student Tour Planning Committee, 2002-present
- AN SC Scholarship Committee, 2001-present
- ACT Funds Committee, 2007-2013
- Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences Scholarship Selection Committee, 2009-2012
- Adviser to Ag Student Council, 2004-2006
- National 4-H Poultry and Egg Conference Committee, 1986-present
- Chair of National 4-H Poultry Judging Contest, 1990-2013
- Poultry Science Association Recruiting Committee, 2002-2006, Chair 2004