Inside the Pavilion, several rows of seats ringed the arena. Tan bark covered the arena floor and all classes of livestock were shown and judged in this facility.
Armsby Building, dedicated in 1906, was home to the Animal Nutrition and Animal Husbandry faculty from 1907 until Henning Building was occupied in 1969.
The respiration calorimeter, with Raymond Swift seated, during an experiment in 1955.
The beef barn was built in 1924 along Shortlidge Road, at the intersection with Park Avenue. Both the beef barn and sheep barn (not pictured) were similar in architecture to the dairy barn, making Shortlidge from Curtin to Park an unusually picturesque scene.
Completed in 1932, the Dairy Department and the creamery were moved from Patterson Hall to Borland Lab.
Known as the cow with the window in her side, Penn State Jessie brought worldwide attention to Penn State in 1928. Professor of Dairy Husbandry Samuel I. Bechdel (left) and Professor of Veterinary Science James F. Shigley (right) conducted a series of experiments on the contents of Jessie’s stomach, which had an important and lasting influence on the new field of research called Ruminology. A 3.5 inch opening was surgically created in Jessie’s side and rumen through which contents could be accessed with a dipper. A crude wooden stopper was inserted to close the opening. Jessie continued to function normally with the rumen fistula.
The first Old West dairy barn (1857) included housing for both dairy cows and swine plus a creamery. The shacks in foreground included laundry, cook house, mess hall and dormitory for students and workers while Old Main was being built. These buildings were located behind the present Old Main and where Carnegie Building is located.
The Shortlidge-Curtin dairy barns built in 1915, located where the Ag Administration building now sits. The shed portion along Curtin housed 60 cows and a milk house. The shed at far right was a manure holding area. The barn along Shortlidge contained areas for hay and grain storage, grinding and mixing facilities, office, locker room and student milker dormitory.
Shortlidge/Curtin dairy barns, built in 1915, at silo filling time. Immediately behind the silo are the sheds that housed the Guernsey herd, heated baby calf pens, bull pens and overflow animals from the milking herds.
The dairy barns, built in 1915, are in the background and to the right are sheds for cows, calves and bulls. The two story structure used by the Animal Nutrition Department and the veterinary hospital is to the far right.
The dairy barns, built in 1915 and destroyed by fire in 1969.
Built in 1951-52, these dairy barns were located across the fields from the football stadium. There were five barns, each housing a single breed of dairy cows and each constructed with a different plan so as to evaluate different ventilation systems, barn feeding and cleaning systems, open and closed housing, feed storage methods and different milking systems. The building in front housed offices, student dorms, a repair shop, large farms scales and an arena.
The Dairy Breeding Research Center dedicated in 1949, funded largely through contribution from the five A.I. Cooperatives, was renamed the J. O. Almquist Research Center in 1999.
P. Thomas Ziegler is demonstrating the “dry rub” technique. Much of his research work was related to home curing of pork. He developed a dry rub formula that became the basis for production of southern-type cured pork.
A Blue duiker at home at Penn State.
The first Old East Barns (destroyed by fire in 1891) with Mt. Nittany in the background.
Armsby built the Ag. Experiment Station barns, known as East Barns, in an area where Fenske Lab and Buckhout Building now sit. In front center sits Hemlock Hall (a classroom), in back center sits the barn, far right is the power plant and to the left is the creamery. These barns burned in 1891.
Built in 1892, these Old East Barns replaced those destroyed by fire a year earlier. The corn crib is located in foreground, a pig pen was to the right and the upper story of Superintendent Patterson’s House is shown in the background. The skyline shows Mt. Nittany.
A view of the power plant with some of Armsby’s Guernsey cows.
The second Old East Barn showing Farms Super- intendent Patterson’s house (right) and the first fertility plots (front center). Photo taken in 1888.
Early ultrasound equipment being tested as a means of evaluating fat and muscle tissue in meat animals.
One of the early draft horses used for farm work at Penn State. Buildings in the background were part of the old East Barn Complex.
Skip Sioux propelled Penn State to world class status as a breeder of American Quarter Horses.
After Old Main was completed, the shacks were removed. This barn and out buildings were lost to fire in 1897.
Following the fire in 1891 that destroyed most of the first Old East Barns, Armsby built a new creamery located to the right of the Ag Experiment Station and below where the Judging Pavilion is located.
Patterson (Dairy Building) completed in 1904, housed the Creamery and classrooms. The horses and milk wagons are lined up along Curtin Road. The Calorimeter building is to the left and Armsby Building is to the rear.
Patterson, showing the milk receiving platforms along Curtin Road, with “Model T’s” delivering milk to the Creamery from nearby farms.
The Judging Pavilion, constructed in 1915, was used as an exhibition arena and housed the early meats program. At the time it was built, poultry facilities were added to the south side. The Pavilion was converted to the Playhouse Theater and is used for theatrical productions.
A group of sheep, ready for exhibition, photographed in front of the Old East Barns around 1930.
Dave Hosterman (left) and Vernon Hazlett (right), long time swine herdsmen at Penn State, with a show winner.